Friday, July 6, 2018

Postcards from World War I: The first 4 cards

My brother dropped by the other day, and left me with a large plastic bag of stamps and letters.  It seems that he got them from our Mother, who got them from our Grandparents.

In particular some of these are from my Grandfather (Ray) to my Grandmother (Ollie) while he was in the Army during World War I.  Unfortunately, none of these are dated, so it is difficult to determine what order they go in.  And they have no stamps or addresses.  Apparently, the troops could write letters and post cards, and then they were put in some larger envelope (?) which was addressed and sent home.  So there are two sets of post cards that were apparently sent as a letter.

The first set, of 4 cards, are from the YMCA. The first three cards are printed with images on one side and were blank on the other.  On the front, at the bottom left, it says "For YMCA" and on the bottom right "Devambez Paris".  There was a print shop in Paris, founded by Edouard Devambez  that, according to Wikipedia, "During the First World War, Devambez created many posters for the Bureau de Propagande Française à l’Étranger".  So the "Devambez" may refer to the printer.  Or, Wikipedia says, there was also a French painter and illustrator, Andre Devambez, son of Edouard.  In fact Andre was one of the creators of posters that Edouard printed.

But the scene on the first card is signed with "A.R." and another was signed by "Jacques Carlu".  So the probability is the "Devambez Paris" refers to the printer.  In fact on the fourth card, it says "Draeger Imp" on the left and "YMCA Anita Parkhurst" on the right.  Draeger is a French publishing firm, again located in Paris, started in 1886 continuing until at the "late 1970s".  Anita Parkhurst was an American artist who, according to Wikipedia, married Henry Wilcox (to become Anita Parkhurst Wilcox) and in 1918 "went to France, to work with the YMCA to support American troops."



Dearest wife

I will drop you a few lines on these cards I guess it will most likely be after Christmas when you get these But then anyway they'll get there before I do.  I wished I was there so as I could buy you a present for Christmas But as I'm not I'll bring you Christmas and birthday present all in


one.  I guess popa has already got his Christmas letter has he not.   have you heard from Momma lately I've not heard from you or her either one in an awful long time.  But I've been moving around so much lately tho that I guess my mail has not caught up with me because I know you have both of you wrote.


How is popa getting along now he is well isn't he and how is Ollie geting along she'd better be getting along alright or I'll take her across my knee and spank her good if she ain't well sweet heart. I can't think of much more to write so I'll let these four cards tell you the rest and I'll close hoping to


oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
hear from you soon. I remain as ever your husband Pvt William R Peterson Co. H. 357 Inf American E.F. abscence makes the heart grow fonder Tho the ocean waves divide distance only lends enchantment That why I long to be by your side a merry Xmas a happy new year Ray

The 357th Infantry was an Infantry Regiment in the United States Army, and there was a book history of it written after World War I: 357th Infantry, it's history from organization until part of Army of Occupation, 1917-1919.which I found in PDF format.  According to that book, the 357th started in Texas and Oklahoma and went to England and then France in July 1918.  Company H was part of the Second Battalion, and was on the front lines from August until the Armistice in November, at Trondes, St. Mihiel, Baalon,  and the Argonne.

No comments:

Post a Comment