Saturday, July 7, 2018

Another Luftpostleichbrief 1953

We came across another Luftpostleichtbrief
letter.




This one is from Hamburg, postmarked
05.5.53 -- May 5, 1953.   Addressed to

Mr. + Mrs. Roy Luther
   10861 E. Lincoln Ave.
      Anaheim Calif. U.S.A.

The actual letter is all handwritten.




Hi Luthers --                   May 2, 1953
     Just a few lines to let you know that
we arrived save and sound in der fadderland
der land of Zourkraut und Vinnies. had a nice
trip 23 hrs. flying time from L.A. to Hannover
a little better time than the Ercoupe makes
today an Ercoupe was flying around over
the fair made me kinda homesick. it is
the only civilian plane I have seen in Germany
The countryside is like a fairy tale land
here complete with apple blossoms Lilacs
and old wooden windmills I am going to
have some nice color pictures when I get
back.  The larger cities like Hannover still
have lots of rubble and burned out buildings
from the terrific bombing raids, they must
have taken a terrible shellacking.  The
transportation problem is something for the
average German because gas is 65c per gal
so the street are cluttered with bicycles +
scooters + motorcycles of every description the
women are all butt sprung from peddling
over the cobblestones or hanging on for dear
life behind some jerk on a motorcycle who is
going like the devil was breathing down his
collar.  Mr. Voigts nephew got us an ambitious
roller skate (it aspires to be a car) to get around
in it is a German made Borg Ward and goes
like a turpentined cat.  I do hope you are taking
good care of my kids while I am here and giving
them an extra hug for me.  Somebody
evidently seems to think these fraulines are
pretty good because theres a hell of a lot of
baby buggies filled up over here.  I havent
seen any yet that would start me pawing
the dirt.  My German is improving to the
point that some of it is understandable I
guess the German I learned is Bavarian
so I'll have to try it out on the yodelers when I
get down there Well more later So long
                                              Al

The "Ercoupe" was a small airplane.



  
Borgward was a German car maker.  It started in 1921.  It's hard to know which model Al is talking about.  There were several models, starting in 1949:



One assumes that he wasn't using one of the earlier 1931 models, although it does fit his description better  "an ambitious roller skate".





No comments:

Post a Comment